Sunday, April 8, 2012

There's only One Tree Hill


These are some things that were said on the series finale of One Tree Hill. The first hour they had the cast and writer talk about it and go through the different experiences and seasons... It was amazing. I may or may not have cried (like sobbing) for 2 straight hours. The things that were said, especially what Mark Schwahn said, are exactly me. 

"From the conversations that I've had with fans this show has helped them through tough periods of their life and I think that's a testament to where the heart of our show is." - James Lafferty (Nathan Scott)

"I think the show was at it's best when it was a quiet ally to our audience. When somebody that I'll never meet was struggling with something and they learned something from the show that made it a little bit better. If that one sentence finds someone at a time when they're missing someone, that's a worthy hour of television. A lot of our fans said that this show is so real. What's real about it are the emotions and the people and what they care about. It's about falling in love. It's about making someone proud of you. It's about being proud of yourself. It's about that quiet voice that tells you, you can do better. I feel like those characters sort of exist on their own now. Even though I'm not sitting down and writing fade in every week, it feels like they're still there. I think it's always going to feel that way." - Mark Schwahn (Writer/Creator)

One Tree Hill started for me when Haley and Nate watched it when we were in Bear Lake the summer after high school. I didn't know anything about it and I had just seen bits and pieces of some episodes in the first couple seasons, but it had been on for a few years. I started watching more of it on the SOAP channel and everything was out of order. I literally watched the 6th season and the 2nd season at the same time. I had now talked to several people about it and I knew basically all of the major events of the show, but then I started it from the beginning and watched it episode by episode all the way through to season 6. I started after they were already out, but they played a new episode everyday, in order on the SOAP channel. Eventually I bought the 1-6 seasons at Costco for $15 each, yeah you're welcome, and I got addicted. I watched it constantly. Now that I had seen them all and knew exactly what the big events and dramas were so I could focus on the little things in the show like the quotes and the music. 

The quotes and music of OTH has gotten me through the hardest times in my life. I have so many songs (most of my favorites) that I listen to on a weekly, if not daily, basis. I can't get through the day without hearing Funeral by Band of Horses or Heartbeats by Jose Gonzalez. 

There are 9 season of oth and for a very long time I didn't acknowledge the seasons after 6 because Lucas and Peyton weren't on the show anymore and to me oth was written about them. Also, the finale of the 6th season closes everything perfectly and I think it really was supposed to end there, but thank god it didn't. Finally I caved and watched the 7th and 8th seasons and ummm LOVED THEM! I was finally caught up to the current episodes of the oth. 

9 seasons of love, friendship, life problems, and some crazy dramatic events that would probably never happen to the same family, group of friends, and town like it did in Tree Hill. 

I am heartbroken that it's over and frankly don't know what to do about it. I just can't imagine not having new songs, quotes, pictures, emotions that I get from oth. I know there will never be a show like that, that focuses on the things like music and life again. I will be watching One Tree Hill until I die. Rerun after rerun after rerun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment